Become a Volunteer
Volunteering is a Fells tradition. It began with a small group of passionate volunteers in 1992 and over the years the ranks of Fells volunteers has swelled to over 150. Fells volunteers are active, dynamic and creative individuals who possess the skills, desire, patience and time to help further our vision of a preserved New Hampshire summer estate.
Interesting opportunities await in horticulture, interpretive programs, preservation, development and special events.
- Volunteers work behind the scenes in our Gatehouse office where our small year-round staff is often in need of help with special projects. Flexible hours are available and computer skills are desirable but not mandatory.
- Do you enjoy teaching or have special knowledge in horticulture or ecology? Our Education Department would like discuss with you how you might assist. We also need help with installing, monitoring and taking down historical and art exhibits in the Main House.
- Our Education Department also needs volunteers who will host programs, including preparing meeting space, setting-up, breaking down, speaker presentations and other hosting needs.
- For volunteers with an interest in learning, our education department also needs help with historical research, archiving, organizing resources, cataloguing and writing.
- Hospitality volunteers are always in demand to assist with volunteer events, receptions and other special fund raising programs and functions.
- If meeting and greeting people is your strong suit, than working in the Main House or Shop could be just for you. Open seasonally Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day, volunteers are needed to assist visitors by selling gift items and snacks in the Shop or by leading historic tours of the Main House.
- Are you a “jack-of-all-trades?” We need handy men and women to help maintain our historic buildings and service our machines and equipment. Join our Tuesday morning crew or sign up to be on-call.
- Do you like getting dirty and digging in the earth? There are positions for garden volunteers to assist our horticultural staff on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from April through October (or anytime in between).
- Volunteers also work on special fundraising events, like our Annual Plant Sale and biennial Auction. Every other year we recruit scores of volunteers to plan, coordinate and staff our Garden Tour and Christmas at The Fells (CATF).
To sign up to volunteer click HERE. For more information on how you can help pursue our mission, call Volunteer Coordinator Mary Lou McCrave at 603-763-4789 x6.